Tuesday 24 May 2011

Jobs are what they want

Image of Jobs from http://159.121.4.211/learning/liblearning21/resource/job_search.jpg via the Web

I wanted to share with you an email I received recently from Gavin Ramsey who now works for inspiring SEL member, Four Corners, London's centre for film and photography. Gavin's message underlines what I have been saying about the Future Jobs Fund: how for many it got them into jobs they wanted and why its equivalent replacement in social enterprise is desperately needed.

Hello Allison,

I hope you don't mind me emailing you but I just wanted to say that I very much enjoyed your piece on the Guardian social enterprise network with regard to the Future Jobs Fund.

As an obvious benefactor of the scheme I was saddened to see it cut and would like to offer my support in any way I can in your campaign to see a replacement.

With very best wishes

Gavin
Gavin Ramsey
Gallery and Marketing Coordinator

Part-Time: Wednesday - Friday
fourcorners

7 comments:

  1. Spot on Gavin. Write ti IDS and tell him. Time for a fight back on this. It WAS a good scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree 100%. We're a small charity working in partnership with another similar sized charity. Engaging with FJF not only raised our own ambitions in this area - we get the grant direct from DWP and not through some consortium - but it's proved invaluable in helping us skill up young artists and prepare them for working in arts organisations either as admin staff or as frontline practitioners.

    For example, we have a couple of lads working with us at the moment. They're extremely galvanized, not only to get a job and develop their careers, but also to take their musical skills and pay something back into society.

    Given the first time we've done something like this I wouldn't say we got everything right... but with the fund now closed down it feels as if there will be a yawning chasm that needs filling.

    Anyway, to check out how the lads are getting on and the impact it is having, have a look at their vlog: http://bit.ly/mMoNoS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear about the young people you got started through FJF, another success story, which we need more of if we are to get the now nearly 1 million unemployed young people in this country into work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, from where you see things, is there any sort of coordinated campaign going around putting pressure on the government to tackle this and/or push forward with apprenticeships.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is my friend Sir Stephen as above and I talking about this but I am unaware of a coordinated campaign.
    We do need to see how the new programmes coming down the line perform, but in the meantime those organisations that performed so well under Future Jobs Fund are going to the wall, I found the sad story of yet another in my inbox this morning, and yet youth unemployment rises.
    I think the Government's faith in big business stepping in to fill the breach is for the most part misplaced, and a key factor in the economy flatlining. The UK economy has long since been powered by very unsexy SME's who were key to the success of FJF. They were attracted to the subsidy and worked close enough with the young recruits to value their contribution, hence the high retention rates. Corporate risk aversion commonly avoids the socially messy, SME's are often braver.
    Rising youth unemployment is a bigger economic and social deficit than any yet faced.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool. I always take pleasure in the selection interviews. Many thanks for having this website
    Cheap D3 items



    GW2 items

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is my buddy Sir Stephen as above and I referring to this but I am unacquainted with a synchronized strategy.
    .cheapest runescape gold
    Final Fantasy XIV CD Key

    ReplyDelete